Preparing for the Perfect Retirement
For every business owner, there comes a day when you must relinquish the reins. As difficult as it is to bid adieu to your life’s work and legacy, it is also a crucial step toward the next great adventure — retirement. Here are a few pro tips for planning a flawless exit:
Timing Is Everything
In an ever-changing market, you don’t want to plan your retirement date for the middle of a recession. Take your time and formulate the best solution that works for you and your business. Most of all, be flexible. There’s no way to predict the future, so expect — and prepare for — the unexpected.
There are many strategies to ensuring that your business is well taken care of post-you: Will you pass it along to a family member? Sell to an employee or partner? Sell it externally?
If you don’t want to be bogged down with business at every holiday or birthday celebration and have no interest in jealous employees, we suggest working with a brokerage so you have an intermediary.
At The Firm, we are your designated quarterback. Here are some reasons why business sellers love working with The Firm:
- Receive the highest price possible with the lowest seller carryback
- Selling price is based on a multiple determined by your cash flow
- Less stress about your staff knowing their jobs are secure
- Keep the original name of your life’s work
- Decide your future with a custom transition period
Admit it — owning/operating a business is tough work! We know that you work hard to maintain a successful company. We challenge you to work less, delegate more, and empower your employees. In doing so, you will position your business for success as you enter a smooth transition into retirement.
Treat yourself with The Firm. We’ll engineer your deal with polished performance. We are your ambassador and your advocate. With inspired elegance and a disciplined playbook, we play to win when it comes to selling businesses.
- Opportunity of the Week: A Business That Brightens Children’s Futures
- Q&A With Cortney: Stock Sale Versus Asset Sale
- The Ins and Outs of Seller Financing
- The Firm Is Breaking Industry Records & Poised for Growth in 2019
- Simply the Best
- Competitor Analysis, Opportunities Listed
- Dentist to Dreamer - Hard Work Pays Off!
- Kansas City Tech Company Useagility Sells to First Tek
- The Firm Named to BBB Honor Roll
- 8th Year as Omaha's Best Business Brokerage
- Sellers: Why You Should Finance Your Buyers
- Summer Intern 2017 - Ameya Shelby
- Industry Forecast: Mind the Generational Gap
- 8 Things We Wish Every Business Buyer Knew Before Calling Us
- Selling Your Business: Getting a Proper Business Valuation
- Asset Sales or Stock Sales: Determining the Best for Your Business Transaction
- Why (and How) Business Owners Are Selling in 2017
- The Law of 3's - Choosing the Right Kind of Broker
- A Mutually Beneficial Relationship
- Reaching Out is Key
- Confidential Business Reviews
- A Change of Pace to Business Ownership
- Confidentiality is at the Core of Business
- Moving into the Boardroom
- Buying a Business vs. Starting Your Own
- Bringing Buyers and Sellers Together is Just the Beginning
- Client Interfacing in the Digital Age
- Four Questions Every Buyer Should Ask
- The Firm Outpaces Transaction Totals from Previous Two Years
- Faces of Omaha 2016: Face of Business Brokerages
- The Firm Business Brokerage Set to Double Sales within Seller's Market - MBJ 2014