Tire & Auto Center Grossing $770K
Located in an affluent part of Lincoln, this auto repair and maintenance business consistently grosses over $770K in sales and boasts 60% repeat clientele. Part of a national franchise, this location has been open for 14 years. The building measures at 4,500 sq. ft. and includes 5 bays, a lobby, and an office. Looking to retire, the seller has negotiated the lease agreement down to $6,400/month plus CAM and taxes.
Staff includes 5 full-time personnel, consisting of a service writer/manager, 3 techs and 1 general service person. Some employees have been with the company for many years, providing customers with preventative maintenance, engine repair, exhaust checks, brake service and more.
The current owner is the General Manager, but a new owner does not need to have extensive automotive experience. The franchisor provides plenty of support and information, educating the owner in all areas needed for success.
At a purchase price of $319,000 and 10% down ($31,900), the bank loan would be 68% collateralized by the $173,805 in assets. A first year’s profit of $52,215 would return 163% of the 10% down after all debts.
- Year Established: 2003
- Location and Service Area: Lincoln
- Number of Clients: 60% repeat business
- Services: preventative maintenance, engine, exhaust, brakes, fuel system, oil changes and more
- Lease: $6,400/mo for 4,500 sq. ft. – includes 5 bays, a lobby and an office
- Reason for Selling: Retirement
- Employees: 5 FT
- Seller Training Period: 90 days
- Current Owner’s Responsibilities: General Manager
- List Price: $319,000
- Gross Sales
- 2016: $773,679
- 2015: $760,711
- 2014: $743,470
- Owner Profit/Cash Flow
- 2016: $107,025
- 2015: $96,137
- YOY Growth: Steady gross sales over $700K
- Profit Margin: 13.8%
- Assets Included in Purchase: $173,805
- Equipment: $150,155 – office equipment, security system, various tools and machinery
- Vehicles: $2,850 – 2001 Olds Alero courtesy car, Honda V 4-wheeler
- Intangible Assets: Extremely positive reviews, low employee turnover
- Franchise Startup: $61,000 in liquid capital needed to start a location
- Inventory: $20,800
*amounts may vary
Cash Flow Analysis
|Description of Financial Statement||Tax Return||Tax Return||Tax Return||Notes|
|Net Income Shown on Financial Statement||$40,014||$22,024||$7,037|
|Compensation to Owner||$30,764||$36,400||$57,800|
|Other unrelated Salaries||$10,400||$10,400||$10,400||Wife's compensation|
|11% Tax on total W2 Salaries||$4,528||$5,148||$7,502|
|Interest||$570||$858||$941||Non-onward going expense|
|Rent||$15,000||$15,000||$15,000||Ongoing rent $6,400/mo - renegotiated from $7,650/mo|
|Non-Business Telephone||$1,920||$1,920||$1,920||$160/mo for 2 personal cell phones|
|Amortization||$1,667||$1,667||$1,667||Non-onward going expense|
|Travel & Entertainment||$567||$2,313||$2,908||Travel & entertainment unrelated to business|
|Seller's Cash Flow = Total Addbacks + Net Income||$107,025||$96,137||$105,827|
|Profit Margin||13.83 %||12.64 %||14.23 %|
- 10% increase in cash flow between 2015 and 2016
- 2016 profit margin of 13.8%
Coolant System Services
62% of sales generated from parts retail
Parts retail sales increased by 9% ($47,926) between 2014 and 2016
Franchise Startup Information
- The initial franchise term of agreement is for 15 years – this location has been in operation since 2003, and the franchise term will be ending in the next couple of years
- Minimum cash required for an initial location is $100,000 with the ability to obtain additional financing:
Initial Franchise Fee: $25,000
Initial Advertising: $5,000 - $10,000
Lease Deposit & First Month’s Rent: $7,000 - $35,000
Pre-Opening Expenses: $13,000 - $35,000
Travel & Living Expenses While Training: $1,000 - $3,500
Additional Funds: $10,000 - $50,000
Total Estimated Liquid Capital Needed: $61,000 - $158,500
- Before opening a location, the franchisee is required to qualify before interviewing with headquarters
Based on these startup requirements, purchasing an existing store cuts out much of the initial cost. As opposed to spending roughly $100,000 to get started, a buyer would only need to pay $31,900 for this location, saving $68,100!
Equipment included in the purchase price is valued at $129,021
- Front Alignment Lift
- Hunter Computer Alignment Package
- Pro-Cut On Car Brake Lathe
- Bench Lathe with Cabinet Amoco 4000
- Specialty tools and cabinets
- Hoffman 7000s Wheel Balancer
- Firepower FP200 Mire Welder with gas
Vehicles & Assets
2 vehicles worth $2,850 are included in the purchase:
- 2001 Old Alero Courtesy Car
- Honda V 4-Wheeler
Assets of $21,134 include:
- 2 PC computers
- Alignment Computer System
- Security Camera System
The Firm Business Brokerage used a Cash Flow Valuation methodology to determine the Purchase Price of the business.
The formula used is as follows:
3-Year Average Cash Flow x Prescribed Multiple = Fair Market Value
Cash Flow is the sum of business net income plus any owner perks and any non-onward going expenses.
A multiple is prescribed by a 20-question, 100-point parameter ranking system that is used to analyze the current business health. Each question is based on a scale from 1 to 5: 1 being low, 2 below average, 3 average, 4 above average, 5 high. The average of the responses sum is the business’ prescribed multiple.
With this information, the computation is as follows:
$102,996 x 3.1 = $319,287
The Fair Market Value of this business is $319,000.
Purchase Price: $319,000
10% Buyer Down Payment: $31,900
10% Seller Financing: $31,900
80% Bank Loan: $255,200
Seller Financing 5-year term at a rate of 4.5% equals a monthly loan payment of $595.
Bank Loan 7-year term at a rate of 5.25% equals a monthly loan payment of $3,637.
After business expenses and loan payments, a buyer with a 10% down payment of $31,900 would retain a profit of $52,215, a 163% return on investment in the first year!
A lender is required to have a minimum 1.5 coverage ratio for any business loans extended. At a proposed Purchase Price of $319,000 with the terms listed above, the coverage ratio is 2.03.
Please note that the decision of whether to extend a loan on any sale belongs to the bank, and this document does not guarantee specific terms or verify that financing is available.
Print, sign and send to:210 N 78th St. 2nd Floor
Omaha, NE 68114
Or fax to: