The sales for this DME store front and home installation business consistently surpass the $2M mark each year. There are also over $200K in tangible assets, allowing for partial collateralization on a bank loan. This medical equipment retail with a home modification component has been serving families within a 150-mile radius of Omaha since 2006. There are a number of different opportunities for growth and recently-won contracts paving a bright future.
The main location in the Omaha metropolitan area serves as a retail store for clients needing mobility equipment, such as wheelchairs, scooters, vehicle lifts, walkers and bath chairs.
Employees are on staff to handle service intakes, warehousing, service operations, and assistive technology (wheelchair fits and mobility). The current owner handles compliance, contracts with payors, bidding, and billing.
Referral sources include physical therapists and occupational therapists, and doctors offices.
- Year Established: 2006
- Location: Omaha and Des Moines Metro Areas
- Service Area: 150-mile radius of Omaha; 70% of work in Iowa, 30% in Nebraska
- Building: 3300 sq. ft, retail location, (2) Omaha metro warehouses: 3,000 and 4,000 sq ft; (1) Des Moines area storage unit
- Reason for Selling: Retirement
- Employees: 12: (2) Service Intakes, (1) Warehouse, (1) Service Op Manager/ATP, (1) ATP, (1) Driver/Home Mod
- Hours: 9am-5:30pm M-F; Saturday mornings
- Seller Training Period: 2 owners willing to stay on for 5 years
- Growth Opportunities: Add CPAP, lymphedema pumps, additional home modifications
- Current Owner’s Responsibilities: Compliance, Payor contracts, bidding and billing.
- List Price: $505,000
- Gross Sales:
- 2017: $2,033,285
- 2016: $2,656,048
- 2015: $2,502,885
- 2014: $2,007,289
- Cash Flow:
- Assets Included in Purchase*
- Equipment: $22,500
- Inventory & Demo Fleet: $78,200
- Vehicles: $124,745: 2015 Nissan Passenger Van, 2006 Chevy Equinox, 2006 Chevy Silverado, 2007 Chevy Express, 2008 Ford E150, (2) 2010 Dodge Caravans, (2) 2010 Town & Country Vans, Trailer
- Intangible Assets: Contracts, advertising campaign, strong relationships with referral base
- Build-out: $78,948 in building improvements
*amounts may vary
Cash Flow Analysis
|Description of Financial Statement||Tax Return||Tax Return||Tax Return||Tax Return||Notes|
|Net Income Shown on Financial Statement||$-53,639||$206,108||$199,817||$129,276|
|Compensation to Owner||$167,321||$148,411||$61,308||$56,127|
|11% Tax on W2 Salaries||$18,405||$16,325||$6,744||$6,174|
|Meals & Entertainment||$3,617||$0||$5,169||$3,827||Personal expense|
|Office Admin||$-40,000||$-40,000||$-40,000||$-40,000||To replace office manager|
|IRA||$5,020||$4,452||$1,839||$1,684||3% IRA match to seller|
|Seller's Cash Flow = Total Addbacks + Net Income||$136,971||$363,537||$275,356||$219,004|
|Profit Margin||6.74 %||13.69 %||11.00 %||10.91 %|
- Clients needing home modifications, wheelchairs, mobility scooters, chair lifts
- Contracts with several payors
- Referrals from physical and occupational therapists and doctors offices
- Wheelchair fit testing
- Home modifications: door widening, ramp additions
- (2) Service Intakes
- (1) Warehouse
- (1) Service Operations Manager/ATP
- (1) ATP – Assistive Technology Professional
- (1) Driver/Home Modifications Specialist
- Expand Product Offerings
- CPAP Machines
- Lymphedema Pumps
- Expand Home Services
- Add additional Home Modifications
The Firm Business Brokerage used a Cash Flow Valuation methodology to determine the Purchase Price of the business.
The formula used is as follows:
Cash Flow x Prescribed Multiple = Fair Market Value
Cash Flow is the sum of business net income plus any owner perks and any non-onward going expenses.
A multiple is prescribed by a 20 question, 100-point parameter ranking system that is used to analyze the current business health. Each question is based on a scale from 1 to 5: 1 being low, 2 below average, 3 average, 4 above average, 5 high. The average of the responses sum is the business’ prescribed multiple.
For this business, a 2017 Cash Flow was used with a prescribed multiple is 3.69. With this information, the computation is as follows:
$136,971 x 3.69 = $505,423
The Fair Market Value found above positions the business List Price at $505,000.
Purchase Price: $505,000
10% Buyer Down Payment: $50,500
10% Seller Financing: $50,500
80% Bank Loan: $404,000
Seller Financing 5-year term at a rate of 4.50% equals a monthly loan payment of $941.
Bank Loan 8-year term at a rate of 6% equals a monthly loan payment of $5,309.
After business expenses and loan payments, a buyer with a 10% down payment of $50,500 would retain a profit of $61,964, which results in a 123% return on investment in the first year.
A lender is required to have a minimum 1.5 coverage ratio for any business loans extended. At a proposed Purchase Price of $505,000 with the terms listed above, the coverage ratio is 1.83.
Please note that the decision of whether to extend a loan on any sale belongs to the bank, and this document does not guarantee specific terms or verify that financing is available.
Offer Price: $
% Buyer Cash Down at Closing: $
% Seller Carry Back via Promissory Note: $
year term at a rate of %
% of Purchase Price secured by Buyer and Seller
Total Bank Loan Need: $
% of Purchase Price
Desired Loan Type:
Desired Bank Terms: year term at a rate of %
Total Business Assets, Inventory, and A/R: $
Total Undercollateralized Loan: $
|Monthly Payment to Bank:||$|
|Yearly Payment to Bank:||$|
|Monthly Payment to Seller:||$|
|Yearly Payment to Seller:||$|
|Total Monthly Debt Service:||$|
|Total Yearly Debt Service:||$|
Fixed Charge Coverage Ratio
The bank will require a minimum ratio of 1.5 to be lendable.
2017 Cash Flow
|Annual Debt Service:||$|
Buyer's Net Operating Income (NOI)
The amount of money the Buyer will retain as profit.
2017 Cash Flow
|Annual Debt Service:||-$|
Buyer's Return on Investment (ROI)
The rate of return on the Buyer's down payment.
|Document Title / Description|
This folder is empty.
Access to this Deal Room is restricted
Would you like to access the deal room?Yes, please
Already have an account? Log in here.
Print, sign and send to:210 N 78th St. 2nd Floor
Omaha, NE 68114
Or fax to: