Corporate Furniture Distributor with $547k in Profit
Strong contracts in place and no inventory to manage have allowed this office furniture dealer to steadily grow year after year. Gross sales increased by 32% between 2015 and 2016, and 2017 is expected to stay strong. With an edge in healthcare-based office solutions, the company has furbished many hospitals in Kansas and Missouri. Even so, they are growing in demand for educational organizations and corporate offices.
A successful sales team is in place and has helped the company expand into areas outside of Kansas City. Utilizing TeamDesign software, sales personnel are able to work in the office or remotely. While the sales team handles much of the design and space planning aspects, there is a full-time Designer on staff to ensure layout and design are accurate and suitable.
Growth exists in increasing Project Management services. The seller has seen an increase in consultations for clients’ project managing needs, and continuing to market this service should produce a nice revenue stream. Also, as corporate clients are becoming a larger part of sales, seeking out these customers is another path to consider.In operation for 13 years, this company continues to grow every year, and has built a great reputation with great results. This is a wonderful chance to take an already successful company to the next level!
- Years in Business: 13
- Location: Kansas City
- Service Area: 70% in Kansas City / 30% in Northeastern Kansas. Occasionally, some work in rural Missouri healthcare.
- Client Demographics: 50% Healthcare-based, 30% Education, 20% Corporate
- Building: 4,500-sq. ft. for office space and showroom
- Reason for Selling: Retirement
- Employees: 8 FT – Sales, Design & Project Management. Installation and delivery is contracted out.
- Growth Opportunities: Grow corporate clients. Increase Project Management services/consulting.
- Current Owner’s Responsibilities: Seller oversees finances and contracts, but DOES NOT design or project manage.
- List Price: $1,800,000
- Gross Sales
- 2017: $6,399,583
- 2016: $5,680,534
- 2015: $4,281,324
- 2014: $3,645,252
- Owner Profit/Cash Flow
- 2017: $547,381
- 2016: $359,393
- 2015: $225,448
- YOY Growth Trends: 76% increase from 2014 to 2017
- Assets included in the purchase:
- Equipment: $22,840 – software (AutoCAD, 2020, TeamDesign), furniture, fixtures
- Intangible Assets: Great reputation, great results, ongoing contracts
- A/R: $319,878
- WIP: $12,896
- Customer Deposits: $ 465,739
*amounts may vary
2017 Gross Sales - $6,399,583
From the Seller:
Today, we have a backlog of $1.8M. Those are orders in-house waiting for shipment and installation. We have never had a cancellation of any order placed.
We finished 2017 strong, and with the current orders, 2018 will be even better.
Cash Flow Analysis
|Description of Financial Statement||P&L Statement|
January - November
|Tax Return||Tax Return||Tax Return||Notes|
|Net Income Shown on Financial Statement||$498,481||$155,963||$36,130||$53,742|
|Compensation to Owner||$0||$176,920||$137,080||$200,288||Line Item 10 - Guaranteed Payments|
|W-2 Salary||$10,500||$5,280||$22,880||$0||Owner's W-2 salary|
|Meals & Entertainment||$5,736||$3,647||$8,423||$2,502||Personal expenses run through the business|
|Interest||$8,018||$13,058||$14,358||$16,090||Non-onward going expense|
|Contributions/Donations||$6,441||$0||$0||$0||Non-onward going expense|
|Cell Phone||$2,100||$2,100||$2,100||$2,100||$175/mo for personal cell phone|
|Personal Auto||$2,000||$2,000||$2,000||$2,000||Mileage reimbursements|
|Seller's Cash Flow = Total Addbacks + Net Income||$547,381||$359,393||$225,448||$284,523|
|Profit Margin||8.55 %||6.33 %||5.27 %||7.81 %|
- Between 2014 and 2017, sales increased by 76%
The company purchased product from over 50 manufacturers. A sample of some of the top manufacturers is below:
|HON||National Office Furniture||Carolina||Gunlocke||Workrite||Stylex|
- 90% of project orders are customized
- It takes between 4 to 8 weeks from order placement to delivery. As most orders have customized aspects, the manufacturers make the products to order.
- Due to this, the seller does not keep inventory in stock
- There is showroom space with product samples. These are provided by the manufacturers at minimal cost to the company, either at 50 – 60% off or through funding.
- For 2017 through August, showroom expense has been only $1,661
- Every 2 to 3 years, the showroom has a major refresh with the workstations torn down, and the layout redesigned and redone
AutoCAD and 2020 are used by the Project Manager, the Designer and Sales staff to help in space planning.
All employees utilize TeamDesign, which tracks projects from proposal through to billing. TeamDesign also allows for remote working as needed.
The majority of clients are in the Kansas City metro area. However, do to the company’s contracts, about 30% of jobs occur in northeastern Kansas outside of the metro. Jobs also take place in some rural Missouri communities, most of these involving healthcare organizations.
Top Client Industries
- Healthcare – 50% of income
- Assisted living
- Medical offices
- Education – 30% of income
- K - 12
- Higher education
- Corporate – 20% of income
- Systems furniture needs
- Growing need for smaller to mid-size companies (great growth opportunity)
A smaller portion of income comes from GSA. Many of the company’s vendors are on a GSA schedule, but GSA contracts tend to be sporadic.
Company has good contracts with large organizations.
Further information on these contracts is available in the Qualified & Confidential Overview, which can be viewed upon receipt of a signed Non-Disclosure Agreement.
- Furniture sales are 89% of income
- Delivery and installation are contracted out, but still contribute 11% to sales
- While Design and Project Management fees are a fraction of income, the seller expects to see that rise to between $17,000 - $20,000 within the next year
- That would be between 280% and 349% increase from where those fees sit as of August 2017
- This is growing in interest and demand with clients and should prove to be a great area for growth
- Sales have increased by 56% between 2014 and 2016
- 2017 was $5,666,744– 13% above gross sales in 2016
There is a total of 8 on staff, all full-time.
- Sales (6)
- 4 in Sales with 2 in Sales Support
- 1 of the Sales personnel works remotely and has developed the company’s presence in northeastern Kansas outside of the Kansas City metro
- Sales team members (and all employees) work with TeamDesign software, enabling them to work remotely if needed
- 1 Project Manager
- Space planning and design
- Product specifications
- Some clients seek out the Project Manager to assist them in design without purchasing furniture from the company
- A fee is charged to the client for consultation, and this is projected to gross nearly $20,000 within the next year
- 1 Designer
- Office interior design and space planning
- Ensures specifications and layouts are accurate and feasible
- Like the Project Manager, some clients require design help without necessarily purchasing product from the company
- This could be an area of growth by charging clients consultative fees
- Delivery and Installation are contracted out to manufacturer-approved installers
- Grow corporate client base
- Corporate office services comprise 20% of sales
- Great opportunity to work with smaller to mid-sized businesses
- Company has existing relationships with many in the Architecture & Design industry that can be tapped to source more corporate projects
- Market Project Managing and Design consulting/services
- Some clients desire just consulting services to assist in remodels or redesigns
- Offering these services is a great way to boost income without incurring COGS expenses
The Firm Business Brokerage used a Cash Flow Valuation methodology to determine the Purchase Price of the business. The formula used is as follows:
Cash Flow x Multiplier = Price
Cash Flow is the sum of net income plus any owner perks and non-onward going expenses.
Multiplier is a prescribed number between 1 and 5 determined by a 100-point, 20-question rating system used to determine the business valuation. The average multiplier is 3.
The Cash Flow for 2017 is $547,381 and the prescribed multiplier is 3.29.
With this information, the computation result as follows:
$547,381 x 3.29 = $1,800,883
The List Price for the business is $1,800,000
Purchase Price: $1,800,000
12.5%Buyer Down Payment: $225,000
12.5%Seller Financing: $225,000
75%Bank Loan: $1,350,000
Seller Financing 5-year term at a rate of 4.50% equals a monthly loan payment of $4,195.
Bank Loan 7-year term at a rate of 6% equals a monthly loan payment of $19,722.
After business expenses and annual loan payments of $286,916, a buyer would retain a net operating income (profit) of $260,386. A 12.5% down payment of $225,000 results in an 115% return on investment in the first year.
Please note that the decision of whether to extend a loan on any sale belongs to the bank, and this document does not guarantee specific terms or verify that financing is available.
Offer Price: $
% Buyer Cash Down at Closing: $
% Seller Carry Back via Promissory Note: $
year term at a rate of %
% of Purchase Price secured by Buyer and Seller
Total Bank Loan Need: $
% of Purchase Price
Desired Loan Type:
Desired Bank Terms: year term at a rate of %
Total Business Assets, Inventory, and A/R: $
Total Undercollateralized Loan: $
|Monthly Payment to Bank:||$|
|Yearly Payment to Bank:||$|
|Monthly Payment to Seller:||$|
|Yearly Payment to Seller:||$|
|Total Monthly Debt Service:||$|
|Total Yearly Debt Service:||$|
Fixed Charge Coverage Ratio
The bank will require a minimum ratio of 1.5 to be lendable.
2017 Cash Flow
|Annual Debt Service:||$|
Buyer's Net Operating Income (NOI)
The amount of money the Buyer will retain as profit.
2017 Cash Flow
|Annual Debt Service:||-$|
Buyer's Return on Investment (ROI)
The rate of return on the Buyer's down payment.
|Document Title / Description|
This folder is empty.
Access to this Deal Room is restricted
Would you like to access the deal room?Yes, please
Already have an account? Log in here.
Print, sign and send to:210 N 78th St. 2nd Floor
Omaha, NE 68114
Or fax to: